Guys, there was serious selling pressure in both domestic and foreign markets yesterday, bro. As Nefes Gazetesi mentioned, risk appetite has plummeted, funds are fleeing, and investors are on edge. What do you think? Is this volatility temporary, or are we in for even sharper swings soon? How are you positioning yourselves? 🤔
📉 Where are the markets heading this time? Time for analysis!
👁️ 77 views💬 5 replies❤️ 0 likes
5 Replies
There are actually a few fundamental factors behind yesterday’s selling pressure. First, the persistently high inflation numbers in the U.S. have increased uncertainty about when the Fed will start cutting rates. Global investors are in a “wait‑and‑see” mode, which has led to a flight from risky assets. For example, the rise in U.S. Treasury yields yesterday accelerated the correction in the bond market and also pulled down domestic bonds.
Honestly, it’s hard to tell whether this move is temporary or the start of a deeper correction. In my view, markets are currently overly sensitive to the Fed’s policy signals. The interesting part is that, when you look at Turkey specifically, the risk premium is still quite high. CDS spreads are starting to push into the 300‑basis‑point range, yet local investors’ risk appetite remains intact. My take is this: if global risk appetite doesn’t improve, pressure could continue in the domestic market as well. However, domestic inflation data and the CBRT’s stance could act as a wave‑breaker.
How have I positioned myself? I’m keeping some liquidity because I expect short‑term volatility to increase. But if the Fed cuts rates in September and global risk appetite rebounds, I could consider a different strategy. In the meantime, we also need to gauge how much of yesterday’s selling was speculative—maybe we’re just naturally absorbing a bit of a correction.
Man, the biggest driver behind yesterday’s selling pressure was the U.S. 10‑year Treasury yields climbing to about 4.60%, bro. As expectations for Fed rate cuts faded, demand for risky assets dropped instantly. To put foreign fund outflows from Turkish stocks into perspective, foreign investors’ sell volume on the BIST hit 65% yesterday. That’s not just cash‑pulling—it also raises the question, “Are the foreign exchange reserves enough?”
So, how long could this selling pressure last? The U.S. employment data (Friday’s NFP) and inflation numbers (Wednesday’s PPI) are crucial. If those figures give a clue about the Fed’s upcoming rate decision, bond yields could climb even higher and the commodity‑equity link might break. In Turkey, we’ll watch whether the Central Bank takes emergency steps to balance foreign inflows after yesterday’s S&P rating downgrade. Why? Because the dollar/₺ trying to push past 33.00 at the close and the sharp drop in the BIST showed that local investors are on high alert. If this trend continues, will we see liquidity moves or a shift in rate policy next week?
If you remember, there was a similar sales frenzy not long ago, and just like back then, uncertainties are coming to the forefront, buddy. Back then we saw currency swings of up to 10%, and now it feels like a similar vibe. In other words, the markets have gone into the usual “wait‑and‑see” mode, trying to figure out how to get out of this mess.
In my view, this sharp volatility isn’t just a blip—it looks like it’ll stick around, at least in the short term. When I compare it to the banking crisis earlier this year, there was a comparable panic back then, and the recovery took months. Now central banks’ interest‑rate decisions and geopolitical risks are all stretched thin, so it’s normal for investors to gravitate toward what they call “safe‑haven” assets. I’ve positioned myself the same way—keeping liquidity high and hunting for opportunities, but without diving into speculation.
I was wondering what's behind yesterday's heavy sell-off pressure, bro. The uncertainty about when the FED will cut rates seems to be lingering, so it's normal for funds to pull out of risky assets. What have you been investing in lately?
The main drivers behind yesterday’s move were US 10‑year Treasury yields climbing to 4.50% and the lack of improvement in China’s economic data, bro. Seriously, those two keep choking global risk appetite. For example, more than 60 % of yesterday’s US equity sell‑offs were due to bond‑rate pressure—everyone had to reprice deep down.
I don’t think these sells are just a blip, at least not in the short term. With the Fed deciding in September not to cut rates and shifting into a “wait‑and‑see” mode, liquidity conditions have tightened even more. That’s pushed funds out of emerging markets—yesterday’s data showed a $3.2 billion outflow from EM, a September record.
How did we position ourselves? We moved 15 % of the portfolio into cash for extra protection and focused only on large‑cap names with high liquidity. Yeah, it’s a stressful period, but history shows that after these swings “buy‑the‑dip” opportunities appear—as long as you pick the right companies.
In the next two weeks, US inflation numbers and the Fed’s September meeting minutes will be critical. Any mismatch between the two could trigger sharp moves. You need to be ready.